Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Solitaire (Barbour Rock) - Sport Climbing


The semi famous Barbour Rock. I first learned of this obscure crag in the mid 1990's, it is almost masked in legend; great rock, short approach, diversity of climbs and almost to hot to climb in the summer. 

No published beta, but it can see a lot of traffic. My buddy TJ (who grew up in Invermere) set me up for an awesome day of cragging at this venue. TJ and Meg were at this crag about a week earlier and had fresh beta on the routes. I enjoyed several leads, probably up to sport 5.9 with far spaced bolts. TJ lead a great 10b ish route with a crazy tough overhang crux off the deck, awesome TR for me. 

Appreciate the peek at this great venue with awesome company.




4 comments:

  1. It's Barbour Rock, and it's still so secretive because the guys who put up the routes don't want it getting too popular... though there is talk of a guidebook being made one day soon. Good crag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbour rock? I will double check with TJ, but in the interim, I will update with your edits. Yes, a great spot, only have been the one time. This summer used the new Gord McArthur rock guide book and hit Perry Creek west of Cranbrook, great crag. Also did a few routes on Mt. Sabine above Canal Flats, some good choices there too. Thanks for the comments and viewing the blog. Cheers KB (OSWB)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s actually called Solitaire. Please consider taking this down. The locals are trying to keep peace with the landowners and to prevent it from being another Lakit Lake disaster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim. Thank you for your comments. I don't climb much in the East Kootenays so I am not aware of issues at Lakit Lake. I only vaguely know Barbour has had access issues. Since my post lacks approach and location beta, I don't think it makes the current situation any worse? Cheers

      Delete